Thursday, December 31, 2009

How quickly things change...

Well, this is the post that I has hoping to never write 14 months ago when Dad was diagnosed with his brain tumor and I started this blog. It seems like yesterday on one hand, and many moons ago on the other. In the last 3 days, Marc has really taken a turn for the worse. As you have read, Mom brought him home and he was getting stronger, but then over night, an about face. On Saturday, it seemed that Dad had lost all strength and started on a quick slid. Steve, the kids, and I were in California with my side of family, when Marcia called to let us know we needed to get back. Today, I am looking at him in his bed sleeping at home, while with the help of hospice, we are doing everything we can to keep him comfortable. These are his final days; he has stopped eating or drinking, doesn't respond often, and his body hurts every where you touch. We have been able to control the pain as long as we are diligent on getting him his medicines even while he is sleeping.

This has been a journey with many ups and downs. We all know Marc to be a fighter and he remained true to that through this whole journey. With Mom standing next to him (and many times holding him up), he has fought every battle brought at him (and there has been plenty). Yet at some point, enough is enough, and your body is done and I think Dad recognizes this and is ready. He seems to be at peace. For the rest of us, it doesn't come as easy to be at peace. We know that he is in pain and don't want that for him, but it is hard to say good bye to, as Annie said today, "the best PawPaw in the whole world".

Dad has been the best PawPaw; supporting Brayden and all of the boys on his team in baseball, rides on the "tractor" for Annie, and kisses on Abbie's nose make my three kids think he hung the moon - he is their hero. It has hit them hard since we have been home. I talked with Brayden and he just cried and cried and when he hugged PawPaw good-bye, PawPaw used the strength that he had to grab his head and pull him closer. When I talked with Annie, she just sobbed and said it isn't fair and she is going to really, really miss him when he is in Heaven. She then asked me "where will all my sadness go Mommy?" and just broke my heart. I don't tell these stories to bring tears (although I have had plenty) but to show just what an impact this man has had in our lives. PLEASE share stories of the impact he has had on you as well as we want to remember him for all of the great times and laughs we have shared over many years!

As we spend all the time we can with Dad over the next few days, we will try to keep you posted. We want to be with him and keep him as comfortable as possible until the very end. I know he knows how loved he is by us, and all of you. Please keep us all in your prayers as you have done for a year as we need to remain strong and have peace with his passing.

From our family, may 2010 bring happiness and health to you and yours.

Julie

8 comments:

sillyrobb said...

What a trooper Marc has been thru all of this. Please tell Marc how much we love him. I'm sure God needs him now and tell Marc to tell everyone who has gone before us hello. Our thoughts and prayers have been with all of you and will continue. It is so very hard to say goodbye but we don't want him to suffer. Our LOVE to you all through these very trying times. Love Silly & Doug

debbers57 said...

Julie, my heart is so sad that you and your family are having to live through this...You better than anyone know how to support the family during this very sad time. I will pray for your family! I am so very sorry!

Deb Butterfield

Jill said...

MARC, WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU AND I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU AS MY LITTLE BROTHER WHO PLAYED PAPER DOLLS WITH ME, AND I WOULD PLAY CARS AND TRUCKS IN THE DIRT... WITH YOU, I WILL MISS YOU, I KNOW YOU WILL BE IN GODS HANDS, AND WITH MOM AND DAD , GRANNY MAUDE, UNCLE FRED, AUNT VIRGINIA, UNCLE DICK, ELMAN , GRANDAD AND GRANNY GRACE,AUNT LOIS, AND GRANDAD BOGUE AND THE OTHERS, THEY WILL BE WITH YOU AND KEEP YOU. WE WILL BE PRAYING FOR GOD TO KEEP YOUR PRECIOUS GRANDKIDS, STEVE, JULIE AND MARCIA IN HIS ARMS AND GIVE THEM STRENGTH ...I LOVE YOU, YOUR SIS JILL ALWAYS...........YOU WILL BE ANOTHER ANGEL LOOKING DOWN ON US.....

Unknown said...

I'm am so so sorry, to hear that Marc has taken a turn, for the worse. Definitely not what I was wanting to hear. Marcia, Marc and ALL your family...you are in my prayers and daily thoughts. Keep up your strength and Love sharing every moment!!
Love to you all.
Cheryl Wilken

Mastertech said...

Marc has put up one heck of fight.
What an extraordinary man he is.
We will be praying for all of you.

I have been blessed to have known Marc and been able to call him a friend.

Robert

Brickman said...

I'll always have a fond memorys of Marc. When I was trucking over the road and got thru the area, Marc was always up for picking me up a truck stop and going out to eat. I always enjoyed our time of visiting ! Once he took me to his home to use the shower. For folks that don't know the trucking life style these two small things mean the world to a truck driver. Usually truck stop showers are not very nice or very clean. Most of the time truck stop food isn't that great either.
Marc also took pics of my last paying load with the first truck I owned. I had forgotten my camera that trip, and if wasn't for Marc I wouldn't have those memories.
Thank you Marc!
It hurts so much to say good bye! My life is better for having known you.
Condolences and God's blessings go out to the family.

Ben Young said...

I was really sorry to hear of Marc's passing this morning...I share the sorrow of his family and his many friends...Ben

Ben Young said...

I was very sorry to hear of Marc's passing this morning...I share the sorrow of his family and his many friends...Ben